For three high school band members, Jan. 19 was the afternoon of a lifetime. Junior Dylan Clinton, senior Mia Hay and senior Brayden Loosier advanced to and will perform in the ATSSB All-State Band Concert Feb. 12 through 15. 

“I am so proud of the hard work and investment these kiddos have put into their improvement this year,” head band director Craig Haynie said. “The high school and middle school students represented the Lion Pride Band and HHS first class.  It’s so exciting to see students so proud of their hard work.”

In Dec., Henderson hosted Region XXI’s annual All-Region contest. Approximately 700 high school students from across the region filled the high school’s hallways, all competing for the top spot to advance to All-Area, the qualifying contest for All-State.

“Henderson had tons of kids competing this year,” Loosier said. “I’ve been trying for years to advance to All-State from Area, and I am so glad and grateful that I finally got that chance.”

Eleven Henderson students qualified for All-Area and competed on several different instruments. Competing students must place first or sometimes second chair in their classification, 3A or 4A, to qualify for the All-State Band.

“Playing at Area was a completely new experience for me,” Hay said. “The tryout system at Area is very different from Region, but it gave me the chance to make friends and move up to the State level.”

Clinton, Hay and Loosier will travel with both middle school and high school band directors to San Antonio for the Annual TMEA Music Convention and All-State Band. They will spend three days learning high-level pieces in either the 3A or 4A band of their talented peers.

“As a junior, this is a really exciting experience for me,” Clinton said. “I really look forward to the clinic and can’t wait to keep building Henderson’s band program.”