Roberts Returns as Assistant Principal

Walking down the hall on Homecoming Week, you will pass Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Mickey Mouse and just about every Disney princess and Marvel character you can think of. But nothing grabs your attention as much as Maleficent- assistant principal Caressa Roberts- standing at the end of the hallway, draped in black with horns sprouting out of her head. 

Roberts recently returned to East Texas this summer to show up and show out as the Henderson High School assistant principal. 

“I hope to be a positive influence on students and teachers,” Roberts said. “I hope to improve upon the amazing things that are already happening here.”

After graduating from Kilgore High School in 1992, Roberts received her bachelor’s degree in English and History at Stephen F. Austin State University. Then, seeking higher education, she attended the University of Phoenix, where she earned her Masters of Education in Administration and Supervision. With the intent of mastering the most effective ways to teach students, Roberts earned her Doctorate in Education Leadership with a focus on Curriculum and Instruction.

“ I love researching and learning about the most effective ways to teach students and create lessons that make a difference,” Roberts said. “I was encouraged to pursue becoming an administrator because of the way that I handled conflict in my classroom and with other adults.”

Working at Henderson isn’t her first rodeo. Roberts worked from 1999 to 2002 at Henderson ISD as a teacher before working in Duncanville as a teacher and Gifted and Talented Specialist from 2002 to 2019.

“I was made aware that a job was available and it was a chance to come home,” Roberts said. “I knew that Henderson was doing something right, and I wanted to be a part of it.”

So why did she want to come back to Henderson?

“The people! The people make it all worthwhile,” Roberts said. “I love meeting students and watching teachers do what makes them so important, teach.”