The Lion Pride Band Begins Their Marching Season

The largest student organization on campus stands clad in red, white and blue canvas uniforms, welcoming the arrival of Texas’s weak attempt at autumn, and with it, Friday night lights. However, for the Lion Pride Marching Band, preparations for football season and, more importantly, UIL competition season, began on a sweltering week in July with over 200 students and two and a half brand new band directors.

“Band camp is where it all starts,” drum major and senior Brayden Loosier said. “We teach pride and respect as well as the basics of marching at camp. That’s where we set the standard for the year.”

Band camp ran from July 22 to 26 and the band trip lasted from July 28 to 29. The annual post-camp trip to Galveston offered students a chance to explore the ocean and Jungle Pyramids at

Moody Gardens as well as the Lions’ Den Ceremony, a time for seniors to give underclassmen advice and share band experiences, on the beach.

“I have so many good memories from this summer, but my favorite would have to be Lions’ Den on the beach and Galveston,” head Majorette and senior Riley Foster said. “Getting to hear my fellow seniors talk about how much band meant to them was awesome.”

After three years of holding the band camp trip in places other than Galveston, the band finally made its return to the traditional location, much like head middle school band director Cody Sturdivant, last employed at Henderson High School in the 2015-2016 school year, recently made his return to the school district.

“I am very excited about this year and how hard the students have worked!” Sturdivant said. “Henderson holds a very special place in my heart, and it is an honor to be back home, watch the program succeed and watch my family grow in this awesome community!”

The band also welcomes Dakota Martinez and Dylan Custer as assistant middle school directors. The HMS directors will attend the UIL Marching Contest and the National Association of Military Marching Band (NAAMB) contest later this fall.

“I’m excited to see where this year takes us,” head director Craig Haynie said. “The kids have been working very hard to learn the marching fundamentals and music. I’m excited to see where this year takes us. The kids have been working very hard to learn the marching fundamentals and music.”