For six years, choir director Jon Starling has been teaching the students of Henderson ISD by gracing many different campuses with his voice. However, he didn’t always want to be a choir director.

I wouldn’t say I decided to be a choir director, but rather I was called to be one,” Starling said. “After advancing to an All-State Choir and going to San Antonio for a convention, my life was changed forever. Upon returning to Henderson, I knew that I was called to be a music teacher and director.”

Before his junior year of high school, Starling wanted to be a criminal justice lawyer, but after a very successful junior year of choir, he decided to become a choir director. He went to college and while obtaining his Master’s degree, he was contacted by Henderson ISD.

“I was asked to consider the position of choir director for the high school and to oversee the middle school,” Starling said. “I thought about it, prayed about it and sought advice for two or three days. I accepted the position the following Monday, two weeks before school started, so you can imagine how hectic my first semester was.”

Since then, Starling has enjoyed his time teaching here.

“One of the joys is seeing a group of youngsters come into one room, seeing the bond begin to form between them, and teaching and hearing them become a choir,” Starling said. “It is one of the most beautiful things. It is symbolic of how we as humans are actually supposed to live each day. We move in sync, and all of humanity is supposed to move in the same fashion.”

Starling says that when he was in high school, he was the student no teacher ever wanted in their class.

¨I was the class clown,” Starling said. ¨If there was a way to get on the teachers’ nerves,   I’m pretty sure I was found doing it. I wasn’t one to study very long, so now I encourage students to study hard and to do their best now to set a pattern of good and healthy habits.¨

Starling has a wonderful history with Henderson ISD that will hopefully continue for a long, long time.

¨I believe being a musician is one of the most beautiful and fulfilling lives one could live, along with living for God,” Starling said. ¨I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and I am looking forward to the years to come.¨