Ashley Wilkinson

All throughout history, letters have changed lives, even though letters are becoming less popular. Four years ago, a letter was sent to a young writer. When she opened the envelope, a warm feeling of joy and excitement spread through her body. It was a letter from the HHS Publications, inviting her to join the Henderson High School Newspaper. She was honored to know they wanted her as apart of their staff one day. One single letter changed her life for the better.

For the past two years, the Henderson Hi-Life has been under the rule of none other than the queen: junior Ashley Wilkinson.

“I think one of my favorite things as an editor is teaching others how to be successful journalists,” Wilkinson said. “It gives me this sense of reassurance that there’s still going to be a Hi-Life Student Newspaper after I graduate. The Hi-Life has kind of been a tradition. and I’m so glad that I get to be a part of keeping it alive.”

When she was in sixth grade, Wilkinson did Editorial Writing UIL, a journalism event that is also in the high school newspaper. Since her freshman year, Wilkinson has been involved with journalism.

“I’m so grateful for the Journalism class I took when I was a freshman because it taught me so much,” Wilkinson said. “As an editor, I still learn so much every day. I know a lot more about journalism now than I did back in sixth grade.”

After being the literary editor during her freshman year, Wilkinson was promoted to managing editor.

“To be an editor you have to have patience,” Wilkinson said.  You have to be willing to learn from others in order to help everyone be successful.  The newspaper is really important to today’s society; the newspaper matters.”

As well as being managing editor for the Hi-Life, Wilkinson also competes in Journalism UIL.

“When I started competing in Journalism UIL, I had a wall in my bedroom that was solely dedicated to medals and ribbons I’ve won,” Wilkinson said. “As of our last tournament, those awards have now stretched to around to its third wall.”

After high school, Wilkinson plans on going to Kilgore College to earn her associate’s degree in Journalism to follow a dream that started with a letter.

“My entire life, I’ve always wanted to be a writer,” Wilkinson said. “Because writing doesn’t have a lot of money tied up in it, my mother started encouraging me to be a journalist. At that time, I didn’t want to, but then, I fell in love with it. And the rest is history.”