Superintendent Plans To Retire

For the past nine years, Henderson Independent School District functioned under the leadership of superintendent Keith Boles.

Boles has declared that he will retire after completing the 2018-2019 school year.

“My favorite part of working at HISD is the people,” Boles said. “HISD has an excellent staff, students, and community.  I have gotten to know a lot of very good parents, staff members, students and community members during my years in Henderson.”

After graduating high school with a class of only 53 students, Boles decided to go into the education field, graduating from East Texas State University (now Texas A&M-Commerce) and majored in History and Physical Education.

“I received my Bachelor’s degree in 1987,” Boles said, “and my Master’s of Education degree in 1992.”

Inspired by his elementary school principal, Boles decided to go into the educational field.

“Originally, I wanted to be an attorney,” Boles said. “My elementary principal encouraged me to go into coaching/teaching. Apparently, he didn’t like the odds of me becoming an attorney!”

After college, Boles worked at multiple places other than Henderson.

“I have been the superintendent in Henderson ISD for the last 9 years,” Boles said. “I have 32 years total:  5 teaching, 5 as principal, and 22 as a school superintendent.”

Throughout the years, Boles has learned to conquer his weaknesses and take advantage of his strengths.

“My biggest weakness is letting people know how much they are appreciated,” Boles said, “My greatest strength is listening. I always try to listen and understand an issue prior to trying to resolve it or give an opinion.  Listening is the foundation for building relationships and consensus.”

Throughout his career, Boles has seen a lot of faces and met a lot of people, and through all of that, his father has been his inspiration.

“My dad is my inspiration,” Boles said. “He taught me to work hard, do the right thing and never quit.  It’s still good advice, and I’ve passed it on to my own kids.”