The Hi-Life

Summer Bummers

The Season’s Health Hazards

Ashley Wilkinson

With summer quickly approaching, the daydreams of sand between toes are replacing the thoughts of reading, writing and arithmetic. However, summer also brings some not-so-relaxing health dangers.

It goes without saying that summer sun causes painful sunburns. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, it only takes one severe sunburn to double the chances of developing melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer. It only takes sunscreen with SPF of at least 15 to avoid a sunburn consequences. Apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before going outside, and reapply every few hours or after swimming. However, if you do get a sunburn, then apply aloe vera (plant or gel), a cold compress or take an anti-inflammatory pain reliever. Do not let sunburns prevent summer fun, for sunlight triggers serotonin hormones, which increases focus and calmness, and boosts vitamin D, which plays an important role in bone health.

Our barefooted adventures in the summer can also be dangerous. From simple splinters to broken glass, the opportunity for puncture wounds is increased. For the most part, these injuries could be avoided by wearing shoes, but if a splinter is unavoidable, then it can simply be removed at home with tweezers. If you do obtain a more serious wound, seek medical attention immediately. Objects like rusty nails may require a tetanus booster, which can only be administered by a medically-trained professional. Although going barefooted may seem fun, it can do more harm than good.

Summer is a time for fun, but fun requires safety precautions. With these minor adjustments to your summertime schedule, you will be able to spend more time relaxing than in pain.