The murmur behind the big, red, curtain draws to a silent close as lights as hot as stars shine on an old wooden stage. Scarlet drapery shifts backward into the wings with a reverent hush as a student walks onstage. Dust flies, and students in black clothes stifle their coughs. The young man waits with lights in his eyes and begins the show with a telephone conversation.

The One Act Play team performed their play, Lie of the Mind, for free at Administration on Thursday of last week after advancing to the bi-district competition. Lie of the Mind focuses on the life of the main character, Beth, who is played by senior Alaura Goad.

“This roll was the most challenging because imitating an individual who is brain damaged and can’t walk for a period of time can come off as hokey or even offensive,” Goad said. “I had to really read into the dialogue and see what the character was meaning and do as the author wrote the play and just not push the character in the wrong direction.”

Beth’s storyline connects two families, including that of her abusive husband, Jake, played by senior De’Braylon Garrett. Jake is deeply flawed and, for those who know him, quite different from Garrett, so Garrett uses unconditional methods to get in character.

“To get into the character of Jake, I meditate,” Garrett said. “I try to become Jake instead of just act like him.”

The plot of the show revolves around anger, revenge and mental health. These themes heavily feature in the part of Beth’s brother, Mike, played by Dillon Martin. Mike’s character arc goes from a loving brother to a rage-filled madman, who eventually beats Garrett’s character, Jake.

Preparing for this role was not as hard as some other roles I’ve been in,” Martin said. “The main reason for this was because of the relatable feelings Mike has all throughout the play. Also because of my past experiences the feelings he has are relatable to me personally therefore making them easy to recall and portray.”

Although theatre productions generally feature students onstage, those functioning behind the scenes do imperative jobs on plays like Lie of the Mind such as sophomore Hannah Myers’s role as stage manager.

“I keep track of schedules and notes about the blocking in every scene,” Myers said. “I make sure everything runs as smooth as possible, everything is packed neatly and efficiently on contest day. Also, I make sure that we do not go over time, but make sure the cast puts on the best show possible.”

Many stars in the theatre program will graduate this year, but the incoming group of freshman are encouraged from seniors to participate.

“The theater is the best program you can join,” Martin said. “The amount of fun times and new friends you’ll meet is beyond worth the time and dedication you’ll need to have. It is undoubtedly a lot of work, but the feeling if being onstage is one that can’t be replicated and makes it all worth it.”