The Hi-Life

A Whole New World

Why You Should Join High School UIL

Riley Foster, Editor

UIL is a huge part of high school for a lot of people, myself included, but why should you join UIL in the first place? I, your dashing, daring, amazing, investigative journalist, am on a mission to find out.

The UIL website (http://www.uiltexas.org/) cites students saying that UIL gave them confidence and helped them place an emphasis on their education. I’ve experienced these things for myself so I can vouch for the above information being completely true. UIL helps me, and others like me, gain the confidence they need to go after what they want. When UIL competitions started last year, I was timid with my writing style, especially opinion pieces. After practicing a fair bit, my writing became more confident, and so did I. For lots of kids, education is incredibly important, but for those who don’t take classes quite as seriously any UIL event, sports included, can encourage them to keep their grades up.

UIL also allows you to form relationships with people you would not otherwise know. Many students attend UIL meets, so, chances are, you’ll meet someone you’ve never met before. Not to mention the relationships you form with your teammates and coach. The UIL website has a list compiled by students who are in UIL about the great things that happened to them when they joined a UIL team. If you’re curious about any other wonderful benefits of UIL, I highly suggest hopping on over there to do some more research.

So there you have it, a few of the many benefits of joining UIL. If you have any interest in seeing what this whole UIL thing is about, I encourage you to contact your school’s UIL coordinator. (If you go to Henderson Middle school your coordinator is Emili Foster; Henderson High school’s coordinator is Callie Lawrence and Ryan Angell.)